Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Transformed

When I married L, he was a constant black t-shirt-wearing, meat-and-potatoes-eating, bachelor-set-in-his-ways kind of guy. Six years later, he now has a wardrobe with a multitude of colors (although he refuses to wear low-slung jeans (no matter how sexy I say his tush looks in 'em)), and a more pronounced transformation in food preference that I have only realized today.

As a kid, L told his mother, "I am NEVER marrying a Filipino girl. I DON'T like their food." This is a story M-I-L loves to laugh and tell. Joke's on him. Buddy boy not only married Pinay, but now loves fried rice for breakfast, chicken adobo for supper, and lumpia whenever I'm ambitious enough to make 'em.

Now, his mom shakes her head in disbelief, saying, "If I had tried to feed you the food you're eating now when you were a kid, you would have never agreed to it," whenever L tells her about a new recipe we've tried.

But even through the drastic expansion of his food repertoire, he still hates blueberries (who hates blueberries?), absolutely refuses to eat shrooms (he claims they're too slimy and just made out of fungus anyway), and won't eat sweet pastries unless it's a donut for breakfast.

He's been very guarded and wary whenever I pushed a plate of new food towards him. Yesterday, we were driving in Woodland Park, CO, and scouting for a place to eat. Knowing how picky my man is, I just surrendered, "There's a Mickey D's right there..."

Instead, to my surprise, he swerves into a parking lot in front of a cute little place called "Sweet Tea Cafe." He says, "This looks interesting. Let's eat here." One word = IMPRESSED.

Sweet Tea Cafe

It was an excellent choice. The interior had typical log cabin decor. The hostess was incredibly friendly and called everyone "darlin'." The sweet tea was delicious and served in little mason jars with handles. The hot butter rolls were something to die for! Slightly crisp on the outside and steaming soft on the inside: perfection. Yummy, yummy, yummy.

Anyway, today, on the way to Manitou Springs, I was leafing through a brochure of the place, asking L what he felt like eating for lunch. And surprise, surprise, he said, "I don't know. Why won't we just walk around and find another cute new place to eat?"

Wow. Who says you can't change a man?

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I love it! Who doesn't like blueberries & pastries??? Tell him that's "weird," from Sarah. (But I agree about the 'shrooms- YUCK)