Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Day Trippin'

Day Two in CS,CO. I am SOLD. We WILL move here when Lou retires. As much as I love love love Utah, a couple issues that have arisen recently have re-ignited my nomadic nature, and I have found THE place to satisfy it.


Itinerary for the day?

Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Ghost Town.

Lou and kids in front of Balanced Rock.
Garden of the Gods, CO

We really just stopped at Balanced Rock and went straight to the Trading Post afterwards. This was our last stop of the day, and we were all getting a bit tired. It was a beautiful place. Maybe it's because Utah has more grand rock formations at Arches NP, I wasn't that impressed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We stopped at Manitou Springs for lunch. Dylan made it a mission to find all the springs in town and taste them all. It was believed by the Native Americans that water from these springs had healing qualities, which intrigued baby boy even more. In all, we were able to try five of them, with each spring having its own unique taste. Dylan's fave was the Stratton spring; he said it was fizzy and sweet.

Lou and Dylan tasting the water @ Navajo Springs. Fizzy and slightly bitter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another stop was the Manitou Cliff Dwellings. Much like the ones in Mesa Verde, these villages carved into the canyon wall were by the Anasazi.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Dylan found the brochure for this place, there was no turning him down. The preserved Ghost Town in Old Colorado City was small, but had enough to keep the kids entertained.

Gold Panning @ GhostTown

It was a day full of activities, but we were still able to make it "home" by six with enough time to make lasagna for din-din. Tomorrow, we will be checking out (sniff, sniff) and making our way to Sidney after checking out a couple of necessary sights here at the base and downtown CS.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Winnie, I am so glad you are documenting your trip so well, it is so fun to see where you are and what you're doing. I absolutely LOVE Colorado and I am SO TOTALLY JEALOUS that you are there right now having a fantastic time. If you do relocate, you might just find me in one of your packing boxes. I would give anything to move back, I just can't convince Kelson!

Sarah said...

I love that you're giving us a tour of your vacation, too! It's almost as good as being there myself. Or not. You better not move! I like my neighborhood just how it is. No changes allowed!

THe Hepworth's said...

I think you might have a small problem if you move, you might end up with us right behind you!!! Really you better not even think about it! Your so good about blogging, I love seeing your pix and I'm glad your having fun, but I can't wait for you to be home so we can go out to dinner!!!!