Monday, September 8, 2008

KEYSTONE!!!

We made it a point to have lunch, a nice (albeit short) visit with the Frost Family in Cheyenne, WY, before heading back down to CO. This lovely girl, Jessi, is THE reason why LIFE IS GOOD for the Ochoa's. Or should I say, THE reason there is even an Ochoa family? She had known way before I even visited her at FWB, FL that Lou and I would hit it off. So she made it a point to introduce us once a TDY opportunity brought me over their way. The rest is history.

We luv u, Mizz Jess!Jessi, Andrew, and Steve
And onward to Keystone we go! The actual trip TO the place was probably THE most tense moment of the whole trip. You see, despite my fear of heights, I have this peculiar affinity for cool mountain destinations. It never fails to get my heart racing a bit (or a lot) during the drive up the steep and windy roads. It is a sacrifice I am usually willing to pay in exchange for the experience up top. HOWEVER, I am accustomed to driving up roads with GUARDRAILS. And, I, assuming it would be common sense for THESE roads to Keystone to apply such safety measures since it is a ski destination, was proved unequivocably WRONG!



This section of the road was tame enough to unhinge me from my tense total-body state and snap a quick shot (and this section to my right had a pullout overlook). Most of the climb, there was at most a total of two feet between the lane and the straight-to-your-death drop-off. The 30MPH speed limit was thrown out the window as we crawled as close to the median as possible at a turtle pace of 10MPH. It didn't help much that Dylan, seated right behind me, kept yelling, "I can't help but look down! We're gonna die!" I broke out into a cold sweat, my heart thudding in my throat, as I leaned over the center console to be as far away as possible from the window and the terrifying view.

Obviously, we didn't careen off the edge, but to make the point more crystal for you, Louie, who loves to laugh at my acrophobia, admitted at our safe arrival that he had to run to the bathroom b/c driving that road gave him the chills and want to pee his pants.


And again, the sacrifice was well worth it (although we'll be trying the other way down the mountain come time to drive to Denver). We made reservations for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo at the Seasons in Lakeside Village. That unit depicted above is our awesome awesome awesome digs for the next four days.

This was on the short and sweet five minute walk to the lakeside town center.

Keystone Lake


Sophie, enjoying the time out of the car. (Ya like the new haircut?)
We'll be visiting Breckenridge and Lake Dillon today and taking advantage of the awesome hikes in the area. More updates to come!



2 comments:

THe Hepworth's said...

So imagine going up that lovely road full of all it's glorious heights in the middle of January and on a big "tour bus" type vehicle it's amazing I didn't have a heart attack!! It's beautiful up there though!

THe Hepworth's said...

I love her hair!! It's so cute but she always is!!