Monday, September 29, 2008

Close Call

I looked both ways, saw it was clear, and proceeded to cross the YIELD TO PEDESTRIANS crosswalk at Walmart. Miss Sophie was hanging onto the side of the cart. Dylan was to my right, and Lou carried Liv behind us. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I heard, "HEY!" I looked swiftly to my right, and there was Louie half in front this blazing royal blue car with his arm out. The car, with a twenty-something brunette at the wheel, glittering phone in hand, came to a sudden halt. I studied her as realization of what may have happened because of her own inattentiveness dawn across that face. And, instead of remorse or a sheepish apology of hand gestures, I got a laugh. Not a nervous one; she genuinely appeared mighty tickled by the situation.
And I, on the receiving end of that laugh, ran through the possible outcomes had Lou not stepped in front of the vehicle. None of them, to me anyway, illicited even a little giggle. Those of you who know me well are aware of the Momma Hulk that rages red in my eyes when someone endangers the well-being of my children.
So, Miss Royal Blue Mazda 3 Hatchback 229-MUV, if ever I run across your pretty little car, you can guarantee it WILL be keyed. Just pray you're not in there when I get to it.

1 comments:

THe Hepworth's said...

I hate that parking lot for that reason... I am glad your all safe!! Does it seem to you like the younger generation has no respect for rules???