The United States Air Force swears to uphold these Core Values:
Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence in All We Do
The First Article of the Code of Conduct reads:
I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.
As our family vacation draws to a close, our arrival back home to Utah will signal the start of preparing for Lou's impending departure for Iraq at the end of the year. It is time once again to slowly start discussing dad's upcoming absence, ensuring the children feel comfortable with the idea. Time again to start planning what holidays and birthdays will be missed. Time again to sort out a strategy of how life can stay as normal as possible back home, and making sure our missing puzzle feels loved and missed at the same time.
I have to admit, there were many times after an exhausting day, that I would cry to Lou over the phone from Iraq and say, "You know, I can't take any more of this. I need you home. This is too hard. We need to be together. Don't re-enlist."
He would always agree. But at the end, he would say, "You know, honey, this isn't for nothing."
And it would always click right when he said that.
This country is the land of the free because of the brave. (Ya, I know, I stole it from a bumper sticker, but it's SO true!) We wouldn't have the freedoms we have without these brave men and women willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of country.
Never take for granted the simple little things that make our lives so great, because some soldier out there is living in a sandbox, sweltering in 130 degree heat, constantly under mortar attack, and missing his family back home who is missing him just as much. Don't demean the sacrifice. Never forget.










2 comments:
Winnie and Louis, I just have to say thank you. I appreciate all that you do to ensure that my family is safe and secure. I am so thankful to all the service men and women who live by this moto that you talked about. I recognize your sacrifices, in all their forms, and I am grateful.
I too want to say THANK YOU to you and your husband and your family. If it weren't for people like you who are willing to stand up for us all no matter our beliefs or color or heritage what would we do? As Louie prepares for another deployment I hope he knows that not a day will go by that we don't think of him and pray for his safe return. Thank You:)
Post a Comment