Monday, January 5, 2009

Goodbye Part1

It is dark o'clock...and I am up feeling lonely already. For the past two weeks, I have awoken and joined shortly by the rambunctious twins and our niece Katie horsing around with the kids. There was always a video game of wrestling or Guitar Hero world tour blaring in the background, a sinkful of dirty dishes (although we've bought mountains of plastic cups and paper plates), plates of half eaten food laying on the counter, keeping the half empty cans of soda company. There was never a quiet room in the house, with the girls being chased down and tickled to death throughout its entirety. And, as younger sisters go, I was subjected to some pretty awesome short jokes and more not so awesome "I'm not touching you!" finger-in-the-face invasions of space.
I would half-joke with them, exclaiming I couldn't wait to be rid of the chaos, but now that it's gone, I am sad. Guests provide an excuse to drop and forget the everyday life and focus more on time spent together doing fun and exciting things that would otherwise be put off for a later date. Having the twins here also gave me a closer glimpse into my hubby's childhood as they sat around and reminisced about the older days. There was never a dull moment (unless football was on, but all I had to do was escape with Katie for some shopping). Friends would come over for crazy late night card games and some homemade authentic Mexican food.
They left just a mere fifteen minutes ago and the house is silent for the first time in two weeks. This quiet, I so cherish most days, makes me grateful for the chaos and fun family bring when they're around.

Hope you guys had as great a time as we did. Let's do this again soon!

2 comments:

Cammie said...

sounds like you may need a new baby after all---heehee

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time. Its always so sad when the holidays are over and everyone has to go back to "normal". For a little while, we all get to forget about the real world and focus on each other ;) I miss that too!!