Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Traditions

This is my absolute favorite time of year. A lot of it is because of all the Fam Och traditions we have followed through the years. I love hearing of everyone's holiday practices, and so I thought I would also share ours (and also because I haven't posted in a couple days, and my "fans" have been wondering why so).

Thanksgiving comes and goes and one of the first things that signal the Christmas season is the making of peanut butter balls. Lou's mom used to makes these during the holidays, and has led Lou to wax nostalgic whenever he pops one in his mouth. We usually end up making several batches since they go so quickly, and this has also been Fam Och's contribution to the neighbor holiday treats giveaway.



Fam Och is a family of movie buffs, so it is only natural to whip out the holiday-themed movies. We have quite a bit, and we try to watch at least one every other day or so. It's A Wonderful Life is a classic and is about the only black and white movie the kids will sit still to watch. That is always on Christmas Eve. Of course, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is a must-see. Ever since watching this movie, I've wanted a Fam Och version of their advent calendar (I found a place online that makes it for $500...uh, no thanks). And here's a strange one...Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas. See, I've never heard of this one, but Lou and his brothers supposedly grew up watching this thing every year. It's a cute little show, real old, but cute enough that I end up humming the tunes for the rest of the day.


Anyone remember that movie Serendipity with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale? Or maybe have gone to New York City and visited the famous cafe called Serendipity? Their famous drink Frrrrrozen Hot Chocolate can be ordered online. Since the fam (Dylan and I are the only exceptions) doesn't drink hot cocoa, we have adapted the colder version of the drink into our traditions. We blend the mix, finish off a whole can of Reddi Whip and we bundle up and watch Polar Express.
Of course, the kids get to open a present on Christmas Eve, and it is always a pair of jammies to provide for picture perfect opportunities come Christmas morning.

Our new tradition this year, is the annual visit of our elf, Eric "Bobbert" (don't ask) the Elf. This little red-cheeked little person has worked wonders with the children's behavior.

And the annual standing prime rib roast dinner for Christmas supper. Yum!
What are your family traditions?

0 comments: