Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Mother's Idiocy (and Fam plus Friends Night Out)

Most of you know how fiercely protective I am of my children and that I look out for their safety slash well-being slash comfort and all that jazz like a hawk, right? I get irked beyond words when I have to witness children not being looked after as they should. So I guess, in total humility, I am admitting to my own brain farts last night when Fam Och went to accompany the Hep's to view Temple Square in all its lighted (3million to be exact) splendor.

Pre-trip Situation Assessment: Cold, Exposed to Elements, Cold, and Cold.

So what did mom extraordinaire do? Stroller--check! Warm boots--check! Layered clothing--check! and that was about it. No hat, no gloves, no scarves, no thick stroller blanket, no thick weather appropriate winter coat. Nada.


For the night, Missus Och had failed as a momma.


I withered in embarassment in front of our friends as I clearly demonstrated a complete lack of parenting skills and how NOT to dress kids for a winter night out. And more importantly, I struggled with seeing my kids slowly freeze before my eyes, snot relentlessly dripping down their faces.


In short, we didn't stay long...and it was a sad thing. In the five winters Fam Och has been in UT, we had never bothered to check out the famous Temple Square, with or without lights. (Maybe it was this subconscious religiously associated intimidation thing?) And my goodness, was it ever a sight.


With the promise of returning again so we could actually witness the telling of the Christmas Story while sporting warmer attire, we headed home. On the drive back, I inundated Lou with a checklist I was furiously ingraining into my brain for the repeat outing: "We need to buy one of those stroller cocoons for Liv!"..."Oooh, how about those hand and feet warmers, too?"..."We need to go shopping for thicker coats!"...and so forth, while Lou repeatedly attempted to dismiss me with, "Hon, we'll just do better next time. It's okay!"
Anyhow, so there's the post that was an attempt to fend off any lingering guilt I can't let go off. For your viewing pleasure, here are some pics before the kids turned into ice blocks.

Before we started forming icicles from our noses.

Aren't they just dah-ling?

On the Trax to Temple Square.


Perpetual goofballs.

2 comments:

Cammie said...

dont sweat it....Mommy brain farts get the best of us all from time to time.

THe Hepworth's said...

Your so silly!! We didn't think it would be THAT cold!! Just so you know that was a rarity that we were prepared!! You are a wonderful mamma and Friend! THank You for the fun we look forward to doing it again and again and again!!!!