Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Honoring HEROES

This is an issue I've had with the Utah Department of Education. It is VETERAN's DAY and it is not honored in the school system. Right now, students are expected to attend school on this, of all, national holidays. WTF??? Maybe it's because Fam Och is a family of veterans that we take this as a personal insult. Refusing to honor this holiday is a slap in the face for all who have sacrificed for this country. Whether it is the ultimate sacrifice of life, or a mountain of little ones such as separation from family, and simply living the code...there are too many of them to be ignored.

L's two uncles, two cousins, father, brother all served honorably. His father and uncle both served 25 years and retired a Command Master Chief Petty Officer (the highest enlisted rank in the Navy). My father served 26 years in the Navy also, and retired a Chief Petty Officer, serving pretty much half of that time away at sea. L has given 14 years already, 7 of which was in Special Operations and all that entailed. I have dedicated 7 years of active duty myself, now choosing to serve the state in the National Guard. All in all, Fam Och has given this country and our fight for freedom a total of 110 years.

Veteran's Day is a holiday for Fam Och. That is why our boy is not in school today.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I agree that it should be a more highly recognized day, and that school kids should not be in school. Good for you for keeping D out. Wow, 110 years! Thank you so much for your service and sacrifice. Thank all of your family for me too. Saying thank you just doesn't seem to cut it. I wish I knew a better way to honor heroes like you and your fam. You are heroes in my book, and I am grateful. (I am also kicking myself for putting my flag out. I missed that one...I regret it.)

Mel said...

Hi sis

here it is called remembrance day ;)Salute to the heroes who risked their lives to make a difference in the future of our children