Monday, November 10, 2008

Adventures in Laminate Flooring Part 3

So busy! I haven't realized I hadn't posted since Thursday. L and I are still busy with the floor. We started nearly a week ago, but with school, and the kids requiring nourishment and attention, it's been back and forth.
I am proud to say, however, that this project can be undertaken by one female! Friday, I was SO restless waiting for L to come home, I bravely approached that monster of a power saw and cut my first plank. Afterwards, I was on such a roll, I found I laid half of the living room floor before L got here. Toolbelt Diva!!!! I just need to find a pink toolbelt. hehehehe. Also, Saturday, L insisted on taking a 3 hour break to watch his football team lose...I decided to take on our new orbital jigsaw myself! All fingers intact! Yeay!
The main part of laying the planks goes by fairly easily and quickly. The only hurdles that will hinder progress will be the floor vents and any walls that are diagonal. Let's not forget doors! I officially despise doors and door jambs. We had to undercut the jambs with a saw, and if there are doors on your last row, you actually saw a portion of the jamb off and re-attach it later. We have also found our hallway walls are not perfectly square with the living room. This required us to be a bit more creative with the cutting process in order to have the floor edge covered by the trim that will come back up.
We are on our last long row today, and then it will be time for the floor molding to come in. I'm hoping to do this myself, but I think Liv is coming down with a cold. Finally, L will purchase new trim today (he broke a bunch removing them) and a tube of putty (Liv decided to use our right angle ruler as a skateboard and chipped a plank).
The floor is beeeautiful! L joked we can have house parties now and actually have a dance floor. The kids love sliding around on it. The dogs can't stand losing their footing, so they tread very carefully. (I did observe some rough playhousing and no scratches!) I, on the other hand, LOVE walking barefoot on the cool, clean floor. I do NOT miss carpet!
We will be finishing the dining room and kitchen within the month. But L insists we take a bit of a break to rest our bruised knees. Now, I'm trying to convince L to change our bedroom, too.
For those of you who will actually do this later on, we have an arsenal of tools and supplies free to borrow. This is actually a pocket-friendly renovation...our hallway and living room cost about $600, the rest will be an additional $300. Not bad, totally doable.

1 comments:

Jill said...

Ooooo I can't wait to see it!