Sunday, November 2, 2008

Six Years

"A happy marriage is a long conversation that always seems too short."
- Andre Maurois
Six years doesn't seem to be a very long time. Especially when referred to in regards to the length of a marriage. I have certainly known couples who have been married for one or two quarter centuries, even more. When I think of how long Lou and I have been married, it seems that number in some way does us an injustice, as if it serves a perception he and I are still "new". But after successfully battling seemingly endless separations, cancer and all that comes with it, and of course the standard litany of marital obstacles, it already feels like we've graduated a long, long time ago from being newlyweds. Today is our second anniversary of the year, the first being our original civil wedding date, this one our ceremony date. And as anniversaries go, I am reminded to reminisce and be thankful.
I am known to be verbose, to put it mildly, but when it comes to Lou and I, well, I suppose you can say there are times I just can't find the right words. After several drafts of this post, I think I will just leave this as is. Louie, thank you for these six years. There is no one else in the world I would rather grow old with. I lurrve you.

0 comments: