Wednesday, August 6, 2008

UTANG Perks

I have to admit I was having some serious regret that I abandoned my active duty stint in the USAF and jumped into serving the state instead. I excelled at my job at Hill, won lots of awards, and(you ops guys better not laugh)even though I was a desk jockey as one might call it in the military world, I felt like a soldier.
I was a stickler for rules and regulations, and my first encounters with the Utah Air National Guard left me a bit shell shocked. There were many days I drove home ranting and raving about what rules were being ignored and so on and so forth.

But yesterday, I was blessed with the gift of re-assurance that I made the right decision. I was pulled into the office and told there was a bucket to fill for some tours of duty in Qatar and Iraq. My heart sank when I heard the news...knowing it was my turn to wallow in the sandbox. But then, to my surprise, instead of a RNLTD, I was given...a choice. A CHOICE!!! Do I or don't I want to volunteer to serve in Iraq? Sixty days ain't so bad...but that would be the same time L would be there, too. A perk would be us being allowed to stay in the same barracks as man and wife during the deployment, but a definite downside are the babies...No one can care for my babies like I can!

And so I turned them down. Eezy peezy. Simple as that. Thank goodness for the UTANG.

0 comments: