Friday, December 18, 2009

To Shut Up or Not to Shut Up


I don't care if somebody brags about themselves or their family or their genius children. It's human nature, after all, to trumpet your accomplishments and blessings. I'll smile and partake in their joy, maybe share a few of my own stories and call it a day.

I can't stand, however, someone who inflates their anecdotes to the extent that it leads others to believe facts about their lives that are UNTRUE. I have friends of friends who have a bad habit of doing this. It gets back to me because, frankly, we talk about other people some times. (Yes, I gossip...but mostly it's good stuff about people I know, unless of course it's another discussion about seeing untethered children bouncing around in the back of a moving car.) And it is absolutely amazing the bullshit that is being fed to my friends.

So here's the question....do you sit there and smile and let it pass? Or do you speak out and tell your friends they are being duped by borderline liars? I've done both. Initially, I would smile and laugh...hahaha...and not say anything else. But lately, I've been letting it slip....i.e., "You know that's not really true...."

I've had someone tell me that I'm not the one being directly lied to anyway, so what does it matter? I seriously don't know. I guess I just don't like my intelligence insulted.

Just a rant...

0 comments: