Taking a cue from fellow blogger, Pink Ink, I have decided to take a walk down memory lane and revisit the bedroom I occupied as a teenager. We were newly moved in to the Dragon Heights apartment complex in Sasebo Naval Base Japan after living for a time in a traditional Japanese home located on the local community. And since my father was deployed at the time in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, I conned my unsuspecting mother into letting me have first pick of the rooms. I ended up with the intended master bedroom with the fire escape exit to the hallway (freedom!). Here are the things I remember most:
1. Eggshell walls plastered with full page magazine ads. (I dunno, I guess I thought they looked cool, and I felt too cool to actually put up a pinup of a teenage hearthrob (although a couple years back in another base, my walls had NKOTB all over the place)).
2. That creepy radiator in the corner that banged and clanged all night during the winter. But, if you listened closely, you could hear the Dimayuga's conversations from upstairs. LOL.
3. My black Sony boombox piled high with stacks of loose CD's. Remember those things? It would blare out Pearl Jam and Soundgarden during the day, and soothe me to sleep with the Forrest Gump Soundtrack instrumental at night.
4. The expanse of cold vinyl floor between my full bed and the door...where my friends (who snuck in) and I (and sometimes my little sister) would sit in a circle and play rhythm drinking games with a bottle of Jose and a film roll canister as a shot glass. (Yep, folks. I was a BAD kid.)
5. The glass vanity I had in the corner by the radiator with various Maybelline products and a blow dryer I never used.
6. The tiny tiny window (jail cell-like) big enough to frame my face, overlooking the parking lot and the school.
7. I had a two boxes stacked on top of each other and draped with some blanket where I displayed my most precious possessions: a yak bone trinket my friend Ben (the one I had a monster crush on but turned out gay) brought back from China, a framed print of these two cherubs that my other friend Eric who is also gay (I'm a gay magnet!), and other miscellaneous stuff.
8. The door that adjoined to the full bath my bedroom and my parents' bedroom shared.
9. On the floor, the white touch-tone phone that had the mile-long coily cord that connected to the cradle that was always tangled up.
10. The blessed fire escape door that opened to an adjoining hallway. My passage to secret late-night parties down the street.
What was in your teenage bedroom?
1. Eggshell walls plastered with full page magazine ads. (I dunno, I guess I thought they looked cool, and I felt too cool to actually put up a pinup of a teenage hearthrob (although a couple years back in another base, my walls had NKOTB all over the place)).
2. That creepy radiator in the corner that banged and clanged all night during the winter. But, if you listened closely, you could hear the Dimayuga's conversations from upstairs. LOL.
3. My black Sony boombox piled high with stacks of loose CD's. Remember those things? It would blare out Pearl Jam and Soundgarden during the day, and soothe me to sleep with the Forrest Gump Soundtrack instrumental at night.
4. The expanse of cold vinyl floor between my full bed and the door...where my friends (who snuck in) and I (and sometimes my little sister) would sit in a circle and play rhythm drinking games with a bottle of Jose and a film roll canister as a shot glass. (Yep, folks. I was a BAD kid.)
5. The glass vanity I had in the corner by the radiator with various Maybelline products and a blow dryer I never used.
6. The tiny tiny window (jail cell-like) big enough to frame my face, overlooking the parking lot and the school.
7. I had a two boxes stacked on top of each other and draped with some blanket where I displayed my most precious possessions: a yak bone trinket my friend Ben (the one I had a monster crush on but turned out gay) brought back from China, a framed print of these two cherubs that my other friend Eric who is also gay (I'm a gay magnet!), and other miscellaneous stuff.
8. The door that adjoined to the full bath my bedroom and my parents' bedroom shared.
9. On the floor, the white touch-tone phone that had the mile-long coily cord that connected to the cradle that was always tangled up.
10. The blessed fire escape door that opened to an adjoining hallway. My passage to secret late-night parties down the street.
What was in your teenage bedroom?









0 comments:
Post a Comment