Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Adding M&M's

L's deployment orders state a trip that would keep him away from the fam for 120 days. As a countdown to help the kiddies, we filled three separate jars with 120 M&M's, that they could eat one at a time for each day that passes. Even before he left, there was some rumbling about the trip being extended, but nothing too definite to count as concrete.

But recently, L's CC ordered him to change their tentative return date on their forms to sometime in June (can't really post the actual date...OPSEC and all). I've known of this news for a bit...but I think I've finally accepted it and have added the corresponding number of M&M's to the kids' jars.

Soph, ever observant, looked at the jar the morning after and said, "Hey! How come there's more than yesterday?"

I didn't know quite how to explain to her and initially tried to play it off like she was wrong...as if that would ever pass...and it didn't. Eventually, I gave in and explained her daddy has to stay a little bit longer because the people in Iraq need more of his help. Once she knew the truth, she took it fairly well, staring at her jar, and she just sighed, "Ok."

At that moment, I could feel my heart break at the sacrifice my little one, along with her siblings, has to make. Her precious time with her favorite person in the world is being taken from her...and she, with the impossible wisdom the military bestows on children as young as she, calmly accepts her burden. It is simply heartbreaking...but it also makes me so proud of this tiny little gem who has enough generosity in her heart to share her dad with those in a faraway land who need his help more than we need him here.

There is no other situation I can think of that can truly reflect the concept of "Team Och" than right now. Our star player is over there, doing what he does best (second to being the best dad and husband ever), and the rest of the fam is here, cheering him on, rallying to keep his and our spirits up, and just praying all will turn out well. These are the times we shine as a family, and as difficult as this time may be, it's validating to observe how well we cope with the challenge.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I think Team Och is amazing. Every single one of you is a hero of mine. I will be forever grateful to all of you (as well as all service men and women and their precious families) for the sacrifices you make for others. I count myself so blessed to know you and to be a recipient (in the freedoms I enjoy) of the hard work and sacrifice you give.

THe Hepworth's said...

AHHH! You have no idea the respect and LOVE we have for you and you family. I'm so glad that we get to enjoy your company while maybe helping pass the time go by!! Always in our thoughts and prayers Thank YOu:)

Sarah said...

Wow. I echo those thoughts above- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!