Monday, May 18, 2009

A Good Bra


Tonight, after allowing the children to stay and splash around the kiddie pool for far too long to allow time to assemble a decent dinner, we hopped over to the Cafe Rio to indulge in some Mex grub. I was mildly surprised at how well-behaved my three were considering their hunger and exhaustion level (it was already 8:30 pm). With a smile on my face, I pulled out my wallet to pay for our meals when suddenly...Liv scooched in front of me, reached for the tray on the counter and flipped the whole thing, chicken taco salad and all, on top of her little head. The little container of house tomatillo dressing splattered all over the floor and on top and in between my toes. FUN.I stammered through profuse apologies as the staff graciously cleaned up our mess and began assembling a new plate free of charge. I would have died of embarrassment and frustration had the Heps not charged in and swooped the children away to our tables to allow me to attend to the matters at hand.

This isn't an isolated event, folks. This family has been my stand-in husband with respect to the companionship, support, and assistance while the real hubster is off at war. Everything from meals when we're sick, to babysitting services so I can take a yoga class, to just plain old company that is so blaringly lacking when the mister is away. I credit this past five months to flying by as fast as it did to their help.

So it's such a conflicting time for me to look forward to the next week because 1) our hero is coming home and 2) this beautiful family is moving away. I feel like I have to exchange one for the other. I am fully aware that their new home is only a fifteen minute drive away, but it feels like an ocean away when compared to being able to merely walk on over two houses down on a whim just to hang out. And in my selfishness, all I want to do is throw a temper tantrum, kicking and screaming on the floor and the whole shebang, and insist on them staying for MY sake.

They say a good friend is like a good bra: supportive, close to your heart, and hard to find. Well, Hepworth Fam, YOU ARE ONE HELL OF A GREAT BRA. And as the mere thought of you moving away from me sends the boobage of my morale sagging, I want to take this humble little way to THANK YOU. Thank you for always being there. Thank you for your unflagging friendship and all the selfless big and little things you do everyday to make MY life so much easier. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

2 comments:

THe Hepworth's said...

Of course it sparked my interest when you asked if it was okay to put my simple little fam on your blog! Of course I am typing through tears and wishing that this was all a dream and I would still be just a few houses away! Please Know how much you and you cute little family mean to us!! It isn't everyday that you find such a "GOOD BRA" and my friend I will never ever let this GOOD BRA we have get too small or ever be put in the back of my mind! We LOVE us The Och Fam and look forward to MANY adventures to come with you!!! LOVE YOU ALL!

Jill said...

I love your analogy! You are too clever. And I agree, they are a great fam and will be missed around here.