Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup

In America, this is the cure-all for one who is ailing of some form of sickness. Along with Tylenol and Motrin, that's about all you need to nurse a sickly child back to health. Although I'd like to think I have been successfully assimilated into this country, there are just some things I can't seem to kick when it comes to my roots. It's pretty comical, actually, since I laugh at their absurdity at times, but nonetheless, those items are still in my medicine cabinet!

In the Philippines, there are very few bugs that cannot be cured with that squat little green jar...

I remember my Lola Carmen rushing to slather it on my chest once she hears me sniffle. This remedy is used for everything short of cancer.

-------

This one, commonly known to outsiders as chamomile oil, is also a permanent resident in the pantry...


I don't remember this being used on me, but when Mister D was Baby D, my Lola whipped this out of her cabinet when he wouldn't stop crying, and wiped a couple strokes on his belly. He immediately quieted and fell asleep. This has been with us ever since. A topical Mylicon of sorts?

--------

This is another one used for upset stomachs and indigestion. SkyFlakes crackers is better than toast when needing to calm a yucky belly.

This is so popular in my home, that even the hubby has requested packages of them to be sent to him in Iraq for when his stomach isn't doing so good. Perfect with hot tea.

What are your home remedies?

1 comments:

Cammie said...

this post reminded me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding where they used windex for everything!

teehee