Monday, November 30, 2009

Ode to Cheeeeesecaaaake


Some swear by New York style, others settle for the Jell-O no-bake version. Some like it slathered with rich strawberry/cherry/blueberry toppings, others will only take it plain. Personally, as an avid cheesecake fan, I could care less. Well, that applied until I encountered the champion of cheesecake, and since then any other version has been automatically chucked to the substandard category.
In my opinion, the key to a perfect cheesecake is the consistency. Not too loose, not too thick...a perfect bite has enough resistance, but still smooth enough to convey that silky texture. A really good cheesecake is best naked...no toppings, no added chocolate or raspberry swirl. And the absolute beauty of this cheesecake recipe is that secret ingredient (I know what it is!) that gives each forkful a light burst of freshness, so often absent from the standard slice usually so cloyingly sweet.
Mister Hep of the Hepworth Four is the master of said cheesecake. I have him to thank for the extra ten pounds I gained with the last one he brought over for Thanksgiving weekend (so worth it!).

0 comments: