Monday, May 24, 2010

Book Review

Coming straight off a historical novel in the "These Is My Words," I had initially sought out a book setting in the more modern era. I read a couple young adult books, and finished the latest Sookie Stackhouse. I loved the novel "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen and "The Girl Who Chased the Moon" by the same author. But, in the midst of reading all of those, I found myself searching for yet another historical novel.

"The Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick was just the remedy. I had spotted this mainly because of its cover, then I discovered the stellar reviews it had received. Besides, the e-book was on sale for $6.00. So right into my Nook it went. It was finished later in that day as I snuck ten or so pages in between chores, and whenever the children did not demand my attention. The silent pleadings of my schoolwork remained ignored.

Usually, I have an excellent sense in that I can gauge which way the plot would lead. This kept me guessing through to the very end...as in the last paragraph. I loved it!

It's a tale of regret and vices, loneliness, desperation for redemption, and forgiveness. It's dark, especially when you get to peek into the characters' minds, their most shameful and dirty thoughts revealed. But, there is the constant glimmer of hope in its pages that drives you to keep your nose in it.

Lovely read.

0 comments: