I had always wanted to be part of a book club. At the rate that I read books (I'm on my tenth book of the MONTH) it really appealed to me to be able to discuss what I've read with others. Simply telling my hubby that I liked it or not didn't quite meet requirements of intelligent conversation (Mister is NOT a reader).
My neighbors organized the first meeting of the area with the assignment to read this:
What a fantastic first selection. I had assumed western/frontier fiction wouldn't strike my fancy, and I had approached the book with a bit of trepidation, unsure how this experience would pan out. How pleasantly surprised I was! Aside from the predictable plot, Nancy Turner has a gift of bringing life to the characters in the book. There was even a point I yearned for a much simpler life much like the one Sarah lead, living off the land, and revelling in basic pleasures.The meeting itself was great fun; any excuse to go meet with a bunch of gals and not talk about potty training and cleaning projects is a good enough excuse for me! I specifically appreciated everyone's differing opinions and views of the story, fascinated by how a single work can aspire such varied interpretations. It would be great to have a meeting twice a month (like I said, I rip through books like they're going out of style). But once a month gives everyone else enough time within their busy lives to fit a great story in. I simply have to put off reading the book until about a week prior so I'm not dying to discuss it.
Our next selection is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I downloaded the free sample to my Nook just to preview it and I've already fallen in love. This book has become a club staple across the nation, and I'm eager to get started on it.










0 comments:
Post a Comment