Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hanging Up The Uniform

Well, we all knew this day would come. I've been fairly vocal about yearning to be totally free of military obligations. And here it is. My last day of work came and went. Yes, I am relieved. But I would be remiss if I ignored the fact that there is a part of me that is grieving.


I haven't been completely daft...I did expect this event to be bittersweet. But, I was unprepared for the weight of all the emotions both expected and unexpected.


April 2000, I raised my right hand and swore my oath to pledge to serve this country. I proudly wore the uniform and did my duty. I revelled in the close-knit camaraderie one can only have in the military. I rejoiced in the person I discovered within myself through the people I have been blessed to meet and experiences I have been made stronger from.

It was truly an experience of a lifetime. Aside from motherhood, this period of my life has taught me the most. Pride, courage, perserverance, humility, gratitude...all of those things balled into ten years.

As I looked at the pile of neatly folded uniforms, I realized I don't think I can bring myself to throw them away. And so they will be carefully stored within the small plastic bin I give myself room to stow away memorabilia, tokens of an honorable service.

1 comments:

Jill said...

Congratulations on you "retirement." But, thank you so much for your dedicated service! I think you should create a wall of honor in your home and hang a uniform up in cool shadow box.