After several failed attempts and cancelled campsite reservations, we finally made it to Payson Lakes on the Nebo Loop Scenic Byway. I was pretty nervous about the campgrounds, since we've never camped there before. The time we tried to scout the area in May, the road leading up to it was still closed due to snow. I was tempted to canx that reservation and go for a place we've been before. I will forever thank the camping gods we didn't.
Big East Lake---one of the three lakes surrounding our campsite.

The beauty about this lake, it is large enough that those seeking a more secluded spot can easily find one, but small enough that we were able to take a walk around its perimeter with the kiddies in less than an hour. Despite the elevation, the water was a pleasant temp, and kids were swimming and playing in the shallow end throughout the day. Tip: Bring an inflatable boat/raft and swimming gear. The trout there jumped at worms and snubbed Powerbait; there were a bunch of people coming from the dam area with a line of them.
The sites were set a ways from each other; we were able to get some privacy. The facilities in the loops consisted of those icky vault toilets (the boys didn't seem to mind). I don't know how anyone could stomach setting foot near those things. Breathing through the mouth did NOT work the only time I tried, and I spent the next five minutes dry heaving from the stench. My lung capacity isn't anything to brag about, so I couldn't hold my breath through the whole ordeal either. I had to resort to taking the one-minute drive to the day-use area by the lake and going to the flush toilets there. Needless to say, I only drank enough to keep me from the brink of dehydration. We definitely need to bring our own PETT toilets next time. (Review on that after the next camping blog.)
My 10-year-old baby got to start the fire this year, as his dad promised. L just supervised and talked him through it, and five minutes later, POOF! there was the crackling of the campfire. Good job, Dylan!
My 10-year-old baby got to start the fire this year, as his dad promised. L just supervised and talked him through it, and five minutes later, POOF! there was the crackling of the campfire. Good job, Dylan!
Dinner was scrumptious! Cornish hens rubbed down with garlic powder, salt and pepper, wrapped in aluminum foil and set into the fire pit for an hour. The juicy meat just fell off the bones. Yum!
All in all, total success! LOVE Payson Lakes!










0 comments:
Post a Comment