Monday, February 1, 2010

#47 of 101

LEARN HOW TO SKI
Here's another one to strike through. Mister Och and I took advantage of Utah's Lucky 13 locals program ($13 lesson, $13 equipment rental, $13 all-day ski lift tkt) and learned how to ski last week!
We decided on Wolf Creek Resort, a small ski/board place only thirty minutes northeast of us. Park City and the surrounding area is teaming with Sundance Festival celebrities and attendees, and we would rather not have to deal with the chaos over there.
Here is what I learned:
1) Ski shoes are almost unbearably painful when learning to "walk" in skis, a skill the instructor insisted we learn first.
2) Skiing without poles (another necessity the instructor claimed) left me feeling utterly vulnerable.
3) Chanting "A" repeatedly (to remind myself to keep my skis in an A formation to keep from going too fast) does not necessarily work to decrease velocity.
4) When pushing off a chair lift, it is best not to push off of your husband instead of the chair since you may inadvertently shove him to the ground and consequently get bulldozed by the chairs traversing by. (Poor thing)
5) Wiping out violently and skidding several feet is not as painful on snow as it is on pavement.
6) Everything is worth trying once. (This sport may just fit that category.
Sorry, no pics. I was way too pre-occupied with keeping my neck intact to snap any for posterity's sake.

2 comments:

KCB said...

Joel took me skiing for my 25th birthday...what an experience! I know just what you mean about ski boots being painful. OUCH. I do wanna try skiing again, though. Maybe next year...

Ortega Family said...

Good for you! At least you had an instructor and not Smith, who would get fed up with me and say "Lisa, I'm just going to go down the hill once and I'll come back and get you!" ha ha. I was pathetic! It was SO much fun though. =)