After yesterday's endless trek to Rockaway, we were disappointed to wake to the pitter patter of rain against the windows. Thankfully, it was just a slight drizzle, but it was totally sweater weather. After munching on breakfast at a local diner, we headed over to the teeny tiny local market (cash only) for some essentials. Then we headed down the street to the Jetty Fishery in Nehalem Bay to pick up some crab.
The Jetty Fishery has a long dock perfect for crabbing with little ones. They rent out crab rings outfitted with bait, which are lowered into the waters. After fifteen or so minutes, the kids have the opportunity to measure the captured crabs' sizes and gender (you can only keep a male crab that has grown to a certain size) and toss the unfit ones back into the water. I like that not only is it fun, but it teaches the kiddies about responsible fishing/crabbing. This time, however, because of the weather, we postponed the crabbing plans for a fairer day.
We simply picked out four live crabs and asked them to cook them for us. (Not that I am unable to do so...I simply didn't want to stink up our rental in the process.) They boiled the crabs in seawater to bring out its best flavor, and handed them over to us after twenty minutes or so.
The weather cleared up towards the end of the day and we were able to take the kids out the back to walk and play along the shoreline while the sun set.
Day 1 over and out.









4 comments:
Can I just say I am so jealous! By the way, how to tell the difference between a male crab and a female?
There's a flap on its underside...the female flap is broad and the male is narrow.
huh. I'm telling Kels that I need a trip to Oregon so I can see that for myself. Oh, and so I can eat some fresh crab. Your vacation sounds heavenly!
It's great! I would recommend this to everybody! Tomorrow, if the weather is nicer, we'll try our hand at catching the crabs oruselves...so hopefully I'll get some good pics of that up.
Post a Comment