Many years ago, as I was pouting and grumbling about having to get ready for an appointment two hours before it was set, my father said,"Being late is inconsiderate of others. Being inconsiderate means you don't care about the other person you set up a time with. Being inconsiderate means you are selfish. Selfish people are the worst kind of person."
I don't think I was late ever after that....well, give or take a few instances in which I couldn't help. But I was never ever late to a time I had previously agreed upon on purpose. My father lectured about the issue of punctuality from that moment, during the drive over, and during the drive back from the appointment. Let's just say it stuck.
I will go to great lengths to ensure I meet every appointment, or meeting, or what-have-you...from mentally running through the next day's timeline to ensure I can successfully accomplish everything to the most minute detail (to include bathroom breaks) AND still avoid being late. I am especially hard on myself when it doesn't work out as planned, and I am genuinely shamed. And so, I expect the same courtesy of others.
My husband, all too aware of my hypersensitivity to this issue knowingly refrains from committing to a time if it means he cannot 100% guarantee he will be there at least five minutes early.
So...if you agree to a time with me...don't keep me waiting in the car with the engine running after I had stayed up late the night before packing and showering and preparing just so we can keep the schedule. Because then, I'll just think you inconsiderate, and therefore, selfish, and therefore the worst kind of person.









0 comments:
Post a Comment