After obsessively researching a suitable candidate to fulfill this item on my 101 list, I finally came upon a review with matching menu that got me excited. EXCITED I tell you!
Background Info: I first heard of Joel Robuchon when watching the Top Chef reality show where he was introduced as the "Chef of the Century." With a title like that, who wouldn't be intrigued, right? He has a number of restaurants bearing his name around the world.
The Mister and I headed down to Las Vegas this weekend with friends (separate post) and we decided to go ahead and book a reservation for then.
Inside the MGM Grand, neighboring the more refined (and expensive) Joel Robuchon, we were greeted by a friendly hostess who confirmed our reservations and seated us at the bar.
The first thing that catches your eye is that the kitchen is OPEN. With our position from the bar, we can watch everything that goes on in the preparation of the dishes from the prepping, cooking, to plating.
The decor, which we only noted secondary to the spectacle of the ktichen, was bold and modern...reds, blacks, clean lines. One great thing I really appreciated....under the bar is a recessed cubby with a hook for my purse! Genius!
We ordered, Lou chose the Winter Tasting Four-Course Menu while I went for the gusto and selected the Discovery Tasting Menu: a nine-course meal intent on sending you to a plane of gastronomical heaven.
Next came the king crab salad sandwiched between paper thin radish disks. The crab was seasoned lightly, the sweetness of the meat coming through unobstructed. W-O-W.
This was one of my favorites. I LOVE scallops. Usually, I eat them seared. This was poached in the shell, served with a helmet of micro-chives, white pepper, and butter. The smallest plate of them all, I almost didn't want to share half of it with the hubby. :-)

This was one I was very excited to eat. You watch all these cooking competition shows prepare dishes with foie gras (pronounced fwah-grah) and can't help but be curious. And the curiousity amps up especially when you learn it's actually a fancy name for DUCK LIVER. I am a fan of liver, I have to admit....but really, I couldn't understand why these people on TV were going berserk over a piece of perfectly cooked LIVER. Well, now I know why. Wowzah! It was delicately seared on the outside, and creamy and buttery on the inside. Definitely not the liver I'm used to! It sat alongside a sweet quince confit and garnished with yuzu sauce.

On to the next course: dover sole filet with baby leeks, crispy onion, and ginger. This had a bit of a Japanese kick to it, just like the foie gras. I think this may have been the largest of the portions that was served. The sole (fish) was tender and flaky with a slightly sea salty finish.
This was the one that brought me to this place. Monsieur Robuchon's La Caille. Free-range quail stuffed with foie gras with a dollop of truffled mashed potatoes. It was a mouthful of heaven. The quail skin was textbook crisp, the dark meat tender and complimented perfectly with the buttery foie gras. Those mashed potatoes were to die for!!!! It was earthy due to the black truffles, but rich and creamy (it's that French butter again).
Dessert...somehow I have managed to scarf this all down. Thank goodness the Mister was with me to help out. Hazelnut and Gianjuda Crunch with Chocolate Gelato (not ice cream, gelato, and again, yes, there is a difference). Topped with edible gold flakes. Let's just say this didn't last long at all.
I had another plate, a Passion Fruit in Coconut Meringue concoction. I think this may have been my least favorite...in part because I was about to bust out of my clothes from being so full and also because I am not a fan of coconut. Sorry no picture...it was very pretty.
The hubby's Winter Tasting Menu was also great. Unfortunately, I was too pre-occupied with my dishes, I practically ignored him. Ha ha ha. I do remember the creamy seafood chowder. Hubby is not too keen on shellfish...but this, he had to admit was excellent.
Dining here need not break the bank, as it nearly did ours. But really, why would you want to pass up on the experience of tasting everything on that menu?










0 comments:
Post a Comment