Monday, July 12, 2010

When to Let Go

I like to think (since I am a prideful sort) that I am open to try new things, even ones I am not completely comfortable in. And so, despite a bit of trepidation, I agreed to attend the neighborhood book club. Some members I am neighbors with, and of course all of you know how much I adore them. Others, I was only vaguely familiar of.

Our first book selection was excellent...These Is My Words, selected by our newest circle resident was a satisfying read. The second was an even better one, The Help by Kathrynn Stockett. I enjoyed these novels immensely.

The discussions were light and fun...up until they started to talk about subjects I had no vested interest in. It was a silent alarm in my head urging me to leave once it got started. At first, I shrugged it off, reasoning that it was only a natural path of conversation since they all shared that common tie. I, unfortunately (and only for the conversations' sake), just could not participate. Oh, well. But when it happens each time...really, I would think for simple etiquette's sake, a group should not discuss topics not everyone can partake in....whether it be bad-mouthing unseemly folk at your local gym (really?) or what is being taught at your church.

But, when I found out that my book selection A Reliable Wife was shelved a week after the decision was made because of its risque and disturbing nature, I was a bit put off. I DID give that disclaimer...this is not a tame smile-when-you-go-to-sleep story. It is dark and sinister, delving into the minds of the characters, all disturbed in their own sort of way. But, the one factor that I loved about it is the human condition itself. Everyone wants to be forgiven...everyone thirsts for redemption. But, regrettfully, this was TOO disturbing. Instead, The Giver was chosen, a novella my sixth grade son had read in school. Oooookay.

Conservatism is something I do understand to an extent. I can sympathize. But I do have to admit there are some aspects of it I do not agree with. To each their own. What I can't quite wrap my head around is: why shun a book that contains graphic (albeit realistic, yes, people, others have sex and have dirty thoughts outside the sanctity of marriage) material, and then turn around and rave about another that depicts an adolescent getting raped and murdered by her neighbor (The Lovely Bones)? I am confused. And what is not disturbing about that one?

Selections are veering away from the quality of books and their potential for discussion. Instead, they are being made based on their availability at the library. And of course, their G rated nature. I might as well ask my son for recommendations.

I was supposed to host the next one. Ummm, I think I'll have to decline. I have a stash of books I acquired through unbelievable bargains at the bookstore, and I'll just have to join an online forum or maybe another club from the base.

I tried it, I do not fit. It is okay. But let me cut my losses at this point and move on.

2 comments:

Ortega Family said...

I wish I lived closer Winnie! I know we'd have a fabulous book club. So the book I told you about (which I am SURE would have gotten the girl who suggested it at our club kicked out and banished from your old club) was a bit much even for me! I've read 4 of the short stories and I think I have enough material to at least join in parts of the convo. Meanwhile I'm finishing up the Jon & Kate book that I was told I SHOULD read because it would make me see Kate in a different light. Not at all true. ;) But I am enjoying having the time to read books now that I've checked a few of my "boxes" off in the continuing education arena. We can do an online book club if you'd like. I'm going to invest in a Kindle later this month. Yipee!

Ortega Family said...

I want to read A Reliable Wife soon. I will let you know when I get to it.